Friday, November 30, 2007

I feel the earth move

As my bed shook, I thought perhaps I was dreaming, then I thought, if this gets any worse, maybe I will get out of bed and see if Ilana is ok, and then the shaking stopped, so I just rolled over and went back to sleep...
It being Shabbat, I was't quite sure how I was going to confirm whether or not there had been an earthquake, but considering there had been a previous one this week, (which I hadn't felt), I thought perhaps it was likely and another girl where I was staying confirmed that she also felt the earth move.
So I survived a 4.1 Richter scale earth shattering event, and it felt pretty good, life affirming even.

I am not sure if Olmert felt it...he may have been in Annapolis already, hob knobbing with the worlds leaders...he makes me feel Palestinian...that is...like a people whose leader doesn't give a shit about them or their welfare, and he is content to sit around sipping tea with politicians while the society falls apart.
Do you know that movie tickets are only 10 shek now for high school students, because due to the high school teachers strike, they don't want kids running around so their solution is...we will drop the price of movie ticket prices so they will sit in the cinemas? HOw about a better solution...sort out the strike...maybe that didn't occur to anyone...

Meanwhile, as the earth moves from under my feet, the sky comes falling down and I guess I am Chicken Licken...running around, being a bit overdramatic about it all, complaining and at the end of the day, realising I don't control any of it anyway, the movements of the earth or the movements of the people who inhabit it.

Sigh. Well at least there are doughnuts (sufganiyot),which are appearing in every shop window...It's beginning to feel a lot like Chanukah.

2 Comments:

Blogger stu lowndes said...

Geez Gila how do you know for sure the Palestinian leader doesn't give a shit about his people. Of course he does, it is his people it just looks different from the outside. Come on mate open your eyes when you're doing all this travel you keep us informed about and get someone elses perspective. Most people and societies are "good" not "bad". Shit that even goes for Jews and Muslims!

(Are you still missing those political debates now Gila?)

Kind Regards,
Stu

P.S. hope you are well, that earthquake sounds like fun, when's the next one?

10:59 PM  
Blogger Calev said...

Gila - i am shocked

you dont control the movements of the world?

And to think i've been friends with you for so long based on a false assumption

Shabbat Shalom

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home