Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Adventure Continues...

My holiday is soon coming to an end and I am leaving the sunburnt country a little sunburnt. Returning to ‘the land’ all prepared and stocked with Metalicus clothing, Milo and deodorant that works. Looking forward to new and exciting adventures, like the Winter Ball, voting in the upcoming election, further travel and employment. I am not looking forward to the long flight back and the cold weather.

I seem to do goodbyes quite often. Unlike other skills, that if you practice them repeatedly you improve, when it comes to saying goodbye, it doesn’t get easier, just more complicated. It’s not as simple as just missing people and places; it’s about the withdrawing of memories have been created that leaves me sad. Being detached physically automatically places past experiences in that place into a recess towards the back of your mind. As you try and focus on a future, wherever you find yourself in the present, the immediate environment is obviously what has the most influence on you and what happened 2 months or a year ago somewhere else, almost seems a dream never to be repeated.

Memories recede into a haze when you are not living where they occurred. When my feet no longer tread on the streets where I grew up, there is some sort of brain dissociation activated and put simply, I forget unintentionally the smell of Jacaranda’s after the rain, and the sound of a Kookaburra in a Gum tree.

How do you value a tangible reality against memory?
How do you love someone when you choose not to be by their side?

I think you have to tell them.

So as I return to Israel and lose the physicality of being in Australia, I forever value the time that I was lucky to spend with family and friends.

3 Comments:

Blogger ifyouwillit... said...

I dread to think how hard it is to leave a place so far away, but it will certianly help to be leaving to somewhere that you feel a belonging.

Have a safe flight back!

7:27 AM  
Blogger gils said...

if you will it - thank-you...see you there soon!

9:25 PM  
Blogger ifyouwillit... said...

Nice to bump into you this morning, I've just added a link to your blog from my site, not sure why I hadn't done already.

2:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home