Saturday, January 13, 2007

Fried Green Tomatoes

I had coffee with a mere male the other day. He ordered a ‘Local Salad’ from Café Hillel. It comes with Smoked Salmon and other general salad staples including tomatoes. By the end of the time allocated to our sorti – I noticed that he had left all the tomatoes on the side.
I questioned “Do you not like tomatoes?”
He responed “No, I don’t really care for them. Do you?”
I replied automatically “I love them with basil, for example in Bruschetta.”

I had a flash forward of my life without tomatoes: In summer the thought of not serving Gespatcho soup for Shabbat Lunch was outrageous. What about Sun-Dried Tomatoes on the Anti-Pasto plate at Pesach? Tomatoe salad for Shabbat lunch. Minnestrone soup in Winter. Tomatoe Sauce with potatoe wedges. Tomoatoes in Israeli salad. Fried tomatoes with an omelette on a Sunday morning….Tomatoes in pasta sauce! The list goes on…

It was at this precise moment that I realised that it’s never ever gonna work out with this guy…I think we will always be friends but…

Even though I had waited 4 months for him to come to Israel to see me, and I had said no to any other relationship in the meantime.
Even though when he offered me NO support last week when I was sick and my grand-mother had died.
Even though he had said to me that he was too immature for a commitment, when I had never even mentioned the word.
Even though I believed him when he said he would miss me.
Even though I can’t believe he is only down the road but I know he won’t come over and give me a hug when I need it.
Even though he has never played the ‘Yichus’ game with me (similar to jewish Geography but you try and out do the other person by stating who is the oldest famous/respected Rebbe that your family is related to)
Even though he has done everything to make me hate him in the past week.

It dawned on me that we are just not meant for each other because if he doesn’t eat tomatoes, I guess he just isn’t a real man…(How would we travel Italy?).

For all those conversations that I have to suffer through alluding to the fact that I don’t have a boyfriend perhaps because I really have horns or I am an alien or something…at least I can now say that it is because I can’t be seen with someone who can’t eat tomatoes.

I guess it’s one of those personal hashgafot that you don’t realise is not negotiable until it unfolds in front of your eyes…

It's Mabo, it's the Constitution, it's the vibe.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sterling into Shekel said...

Tomatoes in the singular is tomato.

Looking forward to giving you love and support in Sydney.

Tommy

3:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes, Sterling!
How could she possibly misspell tomato?? I gasped in horror when I saw that (as well as the incorrect version of potato).
I’m also quite miffed that you got in there first...

Now Gila, why are you even wasting time and headspace writing about this dick? Did we not discuss this?

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're damn right it's the vibe.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me, apparently you are a professional. Professional what?

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ignore the riddle telling little boy.... and go searching for a man!

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were he a vegetarian then I'd understand - but a tomato?

The other reasons are more than enough to dump him - what a twat!

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home