Thursday, December 01, 2011

Into the Wild

This week I watched the movie 'Into the Wild' and it really affected me. I picked up the film at the video shop and I didn't really read the back of it because it was in Hebrew and I couldn't be bothered, so I thought it was an adventure coming fo age film and took it. I didn't realise how sad it was going to be and how it permeated into my week.

Now that I live by myself and I have more 'alone' time, for teh first time in my life ever, I love that I come home and no one bothers me but at the same time, I am a social person, and I love having people around...The thing about making Aliyah by yourslef is, that you leave all these things that you took for granted like family behind, and so you have to build for yourself a replacement family, which is why I think that a lot of Anglos's stick together since we are all going through a common experience.

When I was moving apartments and I had a few weeks inbetween where I would be homeless, I stayed at a friend of mine who let me dump a whole lot of my stuff at her place, and it worked out that she was away on holiday while I was there the first week, then I went to Italy when she got back, and then when I got back she went away for work, so it wasn't too much of a hassle but the fact that I was able to do that was nice.

Next week that same friend needs to have a small procedure done under general anaesthetic and she asked me to drive her there and back. It wasn't even a question that I would hesitate to answer, of course I would take her. As Meredith and Christine would say we have become each others 'person'. I don't think that in Australia I would ever have done this for a friend, just because, it is not required, everyone has their family around them for support, so the level of friendship is just different. Not that this diminishes or makes another more important, rather that there is just a different dynmaic going on...and you also learn very quickly who you can count on, and who you can't because we just simply need people.

So watching the movie made me think about all this, and how lucky I am that I have found people here, made amazing friends in the absence of family. I often think that my life is so rich because people are like colours who make the picture more interesting, give depth and change your perspective on something that otherwise might ahve jsut passed you by, so I like collecting them, and I think I will continue to do that.

In other news this week I visited the
new building of the Tel-Aviv Museum of Art and I have to say that I was impressed!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home